Anders Eriksson

View Profile

Getting cyan in the projector

on Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019 9:57

The projector we are using is not an LCD projector. It is a DLP projector with a RGB LED light engine using a digital micromirror device to project the image. I used the GUI to access the LED driver control which allows you to project each LED individually or in combination. Forcing it into manual mode changed the way the projector displayed the colors. The projector takes in our case as input 24-bit RGB data at a frame rate of up to 120-Hz. The 120-Hz value is the upper limit of the projector and is only allowed using HDMI 2.1 cables. I am fairly sure that is not what I am using, but instead a standard HDMI allowing 60 Hz. This frame rate is composed of three colors (red, green, and blue) with each color equally divided in the frame rate. So using 120 Hz would allocate about 2.78 ms for each color, as we are using 60 Hz this number would be closer to 6 ms, the flickering I saw earlier is most likely a result of this.

However, accessing the manual mode of the LED driver control allows you to turn on the colors in pairs (or in 3 if using RGB). This got rid of the flickering

Habit formation, Registered Report

on Monday, April 1st, 2019 2:16

Started to write the manuscript for the registered report about Habit formation. Aiming for European Journal of Neuroscience.

Software UI updates

on

Fpga transmission software has gotten a new user interface design. At least this is the preferred outline of how we would like the software to look like. Based on the limits of LabView some alterations will be made

Software stops measuring at the correct sample rate

on Monday, March 25th, 2019 2:59
There are two peaks in the graph above which shows the frequency of the time difference between each measurement. This example test was run at 20hz. When the software encountered the “lag” it quickly went to measuring at a much lower rate.

Cyan in the LCD projector

on Thursday, March 21st, 2019 4:06

The LCD projector combines green and blue to form the color cyan. However, while using the spectrophotometer to record this wavelenght it seems to be alternating between green and blue to produce the color. The lights does not seem to be illuminated simultaneously.

This picture is composed of four different channels. One each for green and blue, and two channels for cyan. The cyan color needed to be put into separate channels because they were never illuminated at the same time.

Inhibition of habit formation screening (MB011B)

on Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 1:45

A flight performance test to see how the flies are behaving while flying. They have a slightly lower flight duration compared to the genetic controls but nothing that should impair them in the experiment.

The learning experiments are ongoing. I am doing n=15 for each line and each experiment, both Composite Control and also a Isolated Operant experiment. The Composite control experiment is done but I only got 13 flies for Isolated Operant. I do not want to preanalyze the data and will therefor post it when all the flies are done.

Control experiments

on

Learning paradigm with Wild Type Berlin flies

Control experiments

on

Been conducting a few control experiments to validate the “new” torque machine. Did a set of color learning and also isolated operant self learning. They do behave as expected. There is a small lumping together in the data the first period after the optomotor response in which the flies are in a neautral setting. It should be noted that it is a combined experiments of alternating right and left optomotor response. Also, the data in this figure is also a combination of the A/D converted “correctly” installed and “incorrectly”, i.e. inverted and reversed.

Pushing software updates

on

Johann Schmid and I have been working on getting updates to the torque meter software. Small changes but with significant increase in user friendliness.

● Inability to overwrite the data

● Progress bar and a time bar implemented

● It resets the pattern from one period to another. This is of critical importance as this enables one to do basically any kind of experiment on the machine

I have also gotten hold of a free version of LabView. I thought it could be a good idea that we could to small changes ourself to the software. However, my version is 2017 and Mr Schmid mentioned that he will be transferring to LabView 2019, and thereby retiring the 2017 version. A student version of labview is affordable, less than 50 Euros. It could be worth getting a legal licence of this software.


● The A/D converter now connects directly to the PCB. Only problem is that it is inverted, meaning that the signal from the torque machine gives a positive signal it is registered as a negative signal in the software. Mr Schmid is aware of this and will invert the signal in the software, rather than resoldering the PCB connection.

Updates to the DTS

● DTS is now also better compatible wit the new kind of data we are getting. A conflict occurred because of differences in pattern. An easy fix by just ignoring this parameter.

Noise measurements

on

Three different kind of noises has been measured: Without input from the torquemeter, without input from the PCB and one also with everything connected but the power supply turned off.